One of the most popular issues that many women have is extra weight and they worry about this all the time. And with age, another problem comes in the form of wrinkles. Women are ready to do anything to solve these problems: go hungry, workout every day, and even have surgery. The beauty industry offers a lot of ways to lose weight and slow down the aging process.
We at FoxSumo learned about a diet that can kill 2 birds with one stone and couldn’t help but share the basic principles with you. You will read about the influence of this diet on the body and if you follow this lifting diet by Nicholas Perricone, you will be able to see results in the improvement of your skin’s health in just 3 days.
Free radicals and skin aging
Nicholas Perricone is the author of the Facelift Diet, a dermatologist, and a nutritionist. He believes in the theory that the reason for premature aging is the free radicals that are present in our bodies, which in the right amounts help the body fight infection. However, an increase in the number of free radicals in the body can lead to a weak immune system and wrinkles.
A free radical is a damaged molecule that has lost one of its 2 electrons.
Usually, the causes of molecule damage are eating a lot of sugar, a lack of sleep, excessive UV-light exposure, smoking, and drinking.
The antidote for free radicals is high-quality proteins and antioxidants that will return the lost electron to the damaged molecules.
The Facelift Diet
The Facelift Diet is supposed to decrease the number of wrinkles, and improve the appearance of the skin, hair, and nails, and as a bonus, lead to a lower weight and a more fit body.
The main elements of the diet:
- Salmon (preferably wild). This fish is rich in protein that restores the body’s cells, and omega-3 fatty acids that nurture the skin, making it more shiny and fresh. Besides, salmon contains antioxidants and DMAE that keep all of the muscles toned, including the facial muscles, and prevent the formation of wrinkles.
- Dark-green vegetables. They also contain antioxidants that neutralize free radicals and prevent aging.
- Berries and fruit (raspberries, bilberries, strawberries, melon, apples, pears) for dessert. They also contain a lot of antioxidants and carbohydrates with a high glycemic index. They don’t make the blood sugar level too high.
The order you should eat your food in is: first the protein, then the carbs.
There are 2 variants of this famous diet — the 3-day long, and the 28-day long. Dr. Perricone claims that if you eat salmon at least 2 times a day during the 3-day long diet, you will feel and look much better. Besides, this short-term diet will help you prepare your body and your mind for the longer variant and understand how much it matches your needs.
3-day diet menu:
- Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs and 1 boiled egg and (or) 110-160 grams of salmon (the fish can be replaced with bird or tofu); 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 bowl of berries and a piece of melon; 1-2 glasses of water.
- Lunch: 100-150 grams of salmon or tuna; a salad made of dark-green vegetables with olive oil and lemon juice; 1 kiwi or a slice of lemon and a 1/2 cup of berries; 1-2 glasses of water.
- Dinner: 100-150 grams of salmon; a salad made of dark-green vegetables with olive oil and lemon juice; 1/2 bowl of steamed vegetables (broccoli, spinach, asparagus); a piece of melon and 1/2 cup of berries; 1-2 glasses of water.
- Before sleep, you can eat: 1 apple; 50 grams of turkey; 150 grams of natural yogurt; a handful of hazelnuts, walnuts, or almonds.
The 3-day diet can be the start of the longer diet which is almost a month long. The principle of the 28-day long diet is the same: 3 meals a day with 2 snacks, but the food list is bigger:
- ocean fish and seafood, turkey, and chicken breast;
- all vegetables, except potatoes, carrots, beetroot, peas, and corn;
- berries and fruit, except for bananas, oranges, grapes, watermelon, mango, papaya (these can cause a fast sugar blood increase);
- raw nuts (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans);
- beans, olives, and olive oil;
- fat-free dairy products;
- water, green tea, and mineral water.
Definitely prohibited: alcohol, coffee, soda, fruit juices, frozen foods, fast food, bread, sweets, and sauces.
But there’s more…
Dr. Perricone believes in an integrated approach. Aside from eating good food, you should also drink enough water and exercise.
In order to keep the skin moisturized, you should drink 8-10 glasses of water every day, or drinks that are rich in antioxidants (like mineral water or green tea).
Physical activity, including walking or running and cardiovascular and stretching exercises should be done at least 4 times a week, for 30-45 minutes per day.
Pros and cons of Nicholas Perricone’s diet
This diet has a lot of fans, even among Hollywood celebrities.
The pros of this diet are:
- It promotes healthy weight loss. It allows you to lose weight slowly, which reduces the risk of developing serious health conditions, like high blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases, and diabetes. Also, when you lose weight fast, the skin is in danger of becoming really wrinkly.
- It has a high concentration of foods that are rich in omega-3 acids and antioxidants which is great for the skin and the heart.
- Feeling full, calm, and being able to think clearly.
But there are also people who criticize Dr. Perricone’s diet.
- The diet is expensive. Wild salmon is very expensive and rare and mass-produced fish can contain antibiotics and other chemicals.
- Hunger between the times when you’re supposed to eat.
- Not everyone loves eating fish.
Would you like to try the Facelift Diet? Share your secrets for losing weight and getting rid of wrinkles in the comment section below!